Skip to main content

Christmas Trash

My first few years of teaching over 20 years ago were rough to say the least; however, the relationships that developed there over time with students, faculty, and staff, I cherish to this day. Every Christmas the lady in the front office would make this incredible snack that I looked forward to each year during exam week. She always brought a huge bowl of it and had fun cups or plates so we can "scoop and go" during those busy days. It just wasn't Christmas without it. She called it "Trash" because it had a little bit of everything in it! I just had to have the recipe. It has been a staple in my Christmas baking routine ever since. When I first began making it many asked for the recipe, so to distinguish mine from others, I called it "Sarah's Christmas Trash" although it totally didn't originate with me!

Marty, the office receptionist began a trend that would last for years to come. She and so many precious people I had the privilege of teaching alongside made a mark on my life. So much so, that after I left that school to teach elsewhere and to chase other dreams, I have found myself right back. I came back to the same school 9 years ago, and continue to benefit from my relationships with some awesome folks. And I continue to carry the Christmas Trash tradition. Thanks, Marty, for your kind spirit and yummy holiday snack that will outlast us all!

Christmas Trash Recipe:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Baby Eggplant with Parmesan

Today I spent much of the day in the quaint little town of Mt. Laurel where my good friend Laura and her husband Mark live. Mt. Laurel has a farmer's market every Saturday (Farmer's markets are another thing that says "summer" to me!). I love the bright colors of vegetables and the amazing shapes and sizes of home-grown veggies. Among my typical tomato purchases, I decided to branch out and get some tiny eggplant. I don't typically like eggplant but these were just too cute to pass up. I came home and found this recipe. First I'll say that I learned after the fact that the ones I bought were actually not considered "baby" but of the "fairy tale" variety. Quite a difference. In this image  I found online, the fairy tale eggplant is on the left and baby squash is on the right. The ones I had bought were so much smaller, that the seasoning the recipe called for was too much. Also, since they were small, you can actually eat the skin and all ...

The Ultimate Carrot Cake

Carrot cake is not just a delicious fall dessert and perfect for Thanksgiving, it has particular significance in my life. It has been my favorite for years. When Southern Living came out with this recipe in March 2015 I was determined that it would be my birthday cake that year. And, needless to say, I would be the one to make it. 😋 I couldn't wait to make it again this year! What sets this apart from some other carrot cake recipes is the inclusion of Granny Smith apple and coconut. It also calls for 2 tsp of baking soda and no baking powder, making it super light and fluffy - not as dense as most. I for one, love the rich texture and the "crumbliness". It's like a party in your mouth! This year I decided to use wraps around the cake pans to prevent them from doming. I made my own with paper towels and foil.   The grave mistake I made was in squeezing three 9" cake pans in my oven at the same time. The two that were against the sides of the oven baked way faster...

Skinny Zucchini Lasagna

OK back to the healthy meals! I discovered this recipe when I was doing a keto diet some years ago. It has become not only my favorite keto meal but one of my favorite meals overall. It is low carb and low calorie because not only does it replace pasta with zucchini noodles but also ricotta with cottage cheese. You can also use ground turkey instead of ground chicken.  It takes a while at the front end because you have to prep and grill the zucchini slices. I went ahead and invested in a mandoline for easy and even slicing. Also, I typically use my gas grill instead of a grill pan or panini press.  There are a lot of slices so I found the outdoor grill afforded me more space so I could grill them all at once.  As for the sauce, I am still working on that balance. I guess you could just use regular pasta sauce and be done with it; but, if you make your own it can tend to be runny so I try to thicken it up with tomato paste and some flour. But as you can see in the final ...